The Albuquerque Garden Center is privately owned and operated by the non-profit Council of
Albuquerque Garden Clubs, Inc. It was completed in 1976 with funds raised entirely by volunteers and is widely known to be one-of-a-kind in the United States, as most garden centers are owned and operated by local government.
The Center houses one of New Mexico’s more extensive horticultural libraries; the Master Gardener Hotline for public gardening questions; and contains two meeting rooms for classes and workshops. The grounds were renovated in 2003, creating a series of demonstration gardens. The gardens are open to the public weekdays April 15 through October 15. Stop in to see what and how to plant in the Albuquerque area. The gardens include native plant, daylily, rose, cactus, children's and perennial gardens. There is also a Japanese pavilion, perfect for ceremonies and memorials.
The Council itself was formed in 1950 for the purpose of educating the public about horticultural matters and coordinating activities of various garden clubs in the area. It is composed of garden clubs, plant societies and other garden related organizations found in and around the Albuquerque area. The building serves as a location for the members to hold meetings, flower shows, educational classes and other activities. It is staffed almost entirely by volunteer members and funded by income received from plant sales, fund raising events, facility rentals, gift shop receipts and donations.
The Center's continued operation and success is dependent not only on the efforts of our volunteer members, but also upon donations from our members and the public.
View details and information about our current member organizations including contact information and meeting schedules.